A brief analysis of the innovative features of waterproof sandpaper
Release Date：2023-09-22 10:22
In the course of its development, one of the most crucial aspects of waterproof sandpaper lies in the innovation of its binder. Much like high-grade all-resin sanding cloth and sanding belts, material selection and manufacturing technology play a pivotal role in achieving high performance. water-soluble phenolic resin serves a similar function in conjunction with high-grade all-resin sanding cloth and sanding belts. Given their primary application in high-speed mechanical grinding processes, the binder must possess high bonding strength and excellent heat resistance to withstand the powerful impact during mechanical grinding. water-soluble phenolic resin binders meet these criteria, making high-grade all-resin sand cloth and strong sand belts stand out as leaders in the coated abrasive product category, representing one of the fastest-growing varieties in modern coated abrasives.
In the realm of high-grade waterproof sandpaper, the selection of materials and manufacturing technology is equally crucial. Both domestic and international manufacturers generally employ bisphenol A-type epoxy resin as the primary binder, combined with amide-type curing agents. This type of epoxy resin binder exhibits high viscosity and excellent flexibility, aligning with the quality and technical requirements for producing high-grade waterproof sandpaper. It is particularly suitable for non-mechanical grinding and polishing operations, as the low heat generated during the machining process overcomes the drawback of poor heat resistance in epoxy resin, maintaining its high viscosity characteristics.
Epoxy resin possesses another significant feature, namely excellent flowability or leveling. This property provides a solid foundation for producing fine-grit and ultra-fine-grit products, which was previously challenging for alkyd resin to accomplish. The flowability and leveling of the resin are crucial factors, alongside the structural precision and accuracy of the coating equipment.
Regarding epoxy resin, different types and varieties exhibit certain distinctions in flowability and related characteristics. In current high-grade waterproof sandpaper production processes, two types of epoxy resin are employed. One primarily uses solid epoxy resin dissolved in a solvent to form a liquid, which is then combined with a curing agent to create a high-grade waterproof sandpaper binder. The other directly utilizes liquid epoxy resin, which is mixed with a curing agent to form the binder.
Let's now analyze and compare various characteristics of these two types of binders to serve as references for users when designing formulations:
1. Analysis of Bonding Strength:
- Both types of epoxy resin used in the production of high-grade waterproof sandpaper are bisphenol A types. They are formed through the action of an alkaline catalyst on epoxy chloropropane and bisphenol A, resulting in a pure linear polymer - epoxy resin. These resins come in two forms: solid epoxy and liquid epoxy. While the former needs to be dissolved in a solvent before being mixed with a curing agent to create a solution, the latter can be directly combined with a curing agent to form a binder. Analyzing the bonding properties of epoxy resin, its high viscosity primarily arises from the presence and quantity of epoxy groups in the molecular structure. Solid epoxy resin contains fewer epoxy groups and thus exhibits lower bonding properties compared to liquid epoxy. This is because epoxy resin undergoes a chemical reaction with the curing agent. After the epoxy groups open, they form cross-links with the curing agent, generating highly polar hydroxyl groups, and resulting in a very high bonding strength.
2. Analysis of Binder Flowability:
- Solid epoxy resin, due to its higher molecular weight, experiences greater difficulty in molecular dispersion and movement in a solution, resulting in poorer flowability and leveling of the binder. This makes it less conducive to the production of ultra-fine-grit products. In contrast, liquid epoxy resin, with its lower molecular weight and smaller molecules, disperses and moves more easily in a solution, leading to better flowability of the binder. This facilitates smoother coating and is particularly advantageous for producing ultra-fine-grit products.
3. Analysis of Flexibility in Waterproof Sandpaper Products:
- Solid epoxy resin has a lower epoxy value, resulting in lower cross-linking density in the molecular structure after curing. As a result, products made from solid epoxy resin tend to be more flexible. On the other hand, liquid epoxy resin, with its higher epoxy value, leads to higher cross-linking density after curing, resulting in less flexibility compared to products made from solid epoxy resin.
4. Analysis of Curing Temperature and Time of Binders:
- Solid epoxy resin, due to its lower epoxy value, exhibits relatively weaker reactivity with the curing agent. The prepared binder can be stored for a longer period without significant changes in viscosity. This is especially beneficial during high-temperature seasons in which the viscosity of the binder remains stable. However, in the production process, it is necessary to elevate the curing temperature and extend the curing time. In contrast, liquid epoxy resin, with its higher epoxy value, exhibits higher reactivity with the curing agent. It is generally recommended for immediate use after preparation and should not be stored for an extended period. Particularly during high-temperature seasons, it is advisable to have a cooling system for the binder mixing tank and trough to prevent changes in viscosity during use. Nevertheless, relative reductions in oven temperature and curing time can be achieved during the production process.
5. Analysis of Curing Agent Selection:
- Currently, both domestic and international producers of high-grade waterproof sandpaper use amine curing agents and avoid using anhydride curing agents. Among these, amide-based curing agents are the primary choice. This type of curing agent produces excellent flexibility in the cured epoxy resin, has a lower curing temperature, and is well-suited for the typical baking conditions of coated abrasive production equipment. Moreover, low-molecular-weight amide-based curing agents not only contribute to the curing process but also act as plasticizers for epoxy resin. This dual functionality makes them an ideal curing agent for producing high-grade waterproof sandpaper. It's worth noting that within the category of amide curing agents, there are numerous varieties, each with unique properties. Therefore, the amine value is the most critical performance indicator for amide-based curing agents used in the production of high-grade waterproof sandpaper. A higher amine value corresponds to increased reactivity with epoxy resin, lower curing temperature, shorter curing time, and a harder texture in the cured epoxy resin. However, a lower amine value leads to reduced reactivity with epoxy resin, higher curing temperature, longer curing time, a softer texture in the cured epoxy resin, and an extended shelf life for the prepared binder.
The innovative use of epoxy resin binders has significantly advanced the field of waterproof sandpaper production. By carefully considering factors such as bonding strength, flowability, flexibility, curing properties, and the selection of curing agents, manufacturers can tailor their formulations to meet specific performance requirements, ultimately contributing to the development and success of high-grade waterproof sandpaper products.
This strategic approach to binder selection and formulation design plays a vital role in ensuring the quality and effectiveness of high-grade waterproof sandpaper, solidifying its position as a cornerstone in the coated abrasives industry.
Wool Polishing Buffing Wheel Pad for Angle Grinder
Providing product information on Wool Polishing Buffing Wheel Pad for Angle Grinder, Kamel Abrasives is a professional manufacturer and exporter of Wool Polishing Buffing Wheel Pads for Angle Grinder products.